07 November 2012

Alexis Taylor IS Christine McVie: Hot Chip at Columbiahalle, November 1, 2012

"A church is not for praying/it's for celebrating the light that bleeds through the pain"

November 1, Dia de los Muertos, and one of my favorite Scottish people has organized an unwieldy group of seven to attend Hot Chip, on tour to support their latest album Motion Sickness. Now, last time I saw this band was when they opened for Animal Collective at the Fillmore San Francisco in 2005 (name=dropped).  Now during that show (supporting Coming on Strong) I remember...I remember... dancing? There's been a lot of head trauma since then but I did buy the album and absorbed them, they were a nice complement to Animal Collective. 
I am happy to say the ultimate British geeks have grown, expanding their minimalist pop for more synth heavy, danceable tracks that owe everything, and I mean everything to New Order. They played most of the new album, highlight was a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Everywhere" (of the 1986 album Tango in the Night, oh the 80s) , and I love it when men sound like women, that probably indicates some latent issue in myself I know. [Please follow that last link even if you can't watch it, check out the top comment, internet gold.]  Highlights included a great version of "Motion Sickness" and "How Do You Do?" where the header lyric comes from.  So if you want something to dance to that has actually substantial lyrics, the soundtrack that will speak to all you ugly sweater wearing computer geeks who secretly press roses between the pages of classic literature while watching it rain, then check them out.


No comments: